Ann (Humphrey) Creagh (1799-1862) was born in 1799 in Cork, Ireland to unknown parents. Around 1818, she married John Creagh, son of William Henry and Fidelia (Hawkins) Creagh, in Ireland. Their daughter Ellen was born in Ireland and died in infancy. Then in 1819, the couple immigrated to the United States. The Creagh family arrived in Baltimore and lived there until the 1840s. Their five children were born in Baltimore (John, Richard, Elizabeth, Isabella, and William). However, only John, Richard, and Elizabeth survived to adulthood. By 1850, the family was living in Louisville as were their adult children. Between 1820 and 1930, over 4.5 million Irish immigrated to America in order to escape economic poverty and political unrest. By 1850, roughly one-third of Louisville’s population was comprised of Irish and German immigrants. In 1855, a combination of anti-Catholicism and nationalism led by the Know-Nothing Party caused “Bloody Monday” riots in which immigrants and their homes were attacked and burned. There were at least 22 deaths.
John worked as a tobacconist and grocer in Louisville. He and Ann lived on 4th Street in the Central Business District. In 1851, their son John died at the age of 31. He was buried in Section A, Range 13, Lot 8 of Eastern Cemetery. Then in 1859, their son Richard died at the age of 36. He was buried with his brother. On December 15, 1862, Ann died at the age of 62. She was buried with her sons in Eastern Cemetery. Then on November 13, 1869, John Creagh died at the age of 73 and was buried next to his wife. Their plot also includes their daughter-in-law, Richard’s widow Nancy (True) Creagh as well as three great grandchildren. This historic photo of the Creagh family plot shows their mostly intact headstones. Today, these need repair, and some are not readable, which is why this drawing was created. The plot photo, drawing of the stones, and photo of Ann are from Find A Grave user jbinsure.