Fannie Rosalind (Givens) Robinson (1900-1972) was born in Staunton, VA to William Clifton and Jessie (Harris) Givens. In 1902, William died leaving a widow and five children. Fannie, who was named for her aunt, Fannie Rosalind (Hicks) Givens, came to live with her uncle James Edward Givens and Fannie in Louisville. They adopted her two years later. In 1910, Jessie died, so her children James Edward, Margaret, Mary Ann, and Jessie Clifton moved to Louisville to live with Fannie (Hicks) Givens and their sister. Sometime before 1928, Fannie married Horatio W. O’Bannon and together the couple had a daughter, Fannie Rosalind. Horatio and Fannie were both graduates of Central High School and teachers in Louisville. Fannie worked for the East End Day Nursery. By 1935, they had divorced.
Fannie then married Dr. William H. Robinson (1900-1962) who was born in Louisville to Lee and Amanda (O’Bannon) Robinson. He was one of three children. William was a graduated of Central High School, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Boston. He was head of the physics and math department at Houston-Tillotson College and Bricks Junior College as well as assistant director of the mechanical arts department of Prairie View A&M University. By 1938, William, Fannie, and Fannie O’Bannon were living in Durham, NC where William was the head of the science department at North Carolina Central University. The family lived at 210 Formosa Avenue in Durham until William’s death on March 27, 1962. He was buried in Section B, Range 12, Lot 25, Grave 3 of Eastern Cemetery. Fannie Robinson moved to Hampton, VA to be near her daughter Fannie (O’Bannon) King. She died there on March 18, 1972 at the age of 71. She was buried with her husband in Section B, Range 12, Lot 25, Grave 4 of Eastern Cemetery. They share a headstone. Fannie’s photo is from her 1923 passport application. William’s portrait and the photo of his laboratory are from North Carolina Central University Faculty and Staff Photograph Records, 1910-2005.