Georgia A. (Lattimore) Lewis (ca. 1800-1961) was born in North Carolina around 1880 to John and Marcella (Hambrick) Lattimore. She was the one of nine children. John was a farmer and Marcella kept house. In 1888, Marcella married David Thompson, and she and her daughters were living with him in the 1900 census. By 1907, Georgia was living with her brother Dr. John A.C. Lattimore in the Russell Neighborhood in Louisville. She was working as a teacher at Central Colored High School, which is now Louisville Central High School. Georgia taught home economics at the school until 1925. During this time, she continued living with her brother at 1502 W. Walnut Street. She was also involved civically with the Forum and the Red Cross.
While we could not find the exact date, sometime around or after 1925, Georgia married Cary Blackburn Lewis, Sr. (1888-1946), originally from Louisville and son of Plummer Lewis. Georgia moved to Chicago to live with Cary who was a newspaper journalist and editor as well as at one time publicity director for Booker T. Washington. The couple were frequently featured in the “Pittsburgh Courier” society pages and lived at 4510 Vincennes Avenue. On December 8, 1946, Cary died at the age of 58. He was buried in Lincoln Cemetery in Chicago. Georgia remained in Chicago after his death and was still active. On April 30, 1949, the “Pittsburgh Courier” stated, “the exquisitely appointed Chicago home of Mrs. Cary B. Lewis Sr. was the scene of an Eastern supper party of such magnificence as has not been seen since before the war. Amid the priceless collection of art pieces, interspersed with colorful blossoms, homage was paid to the hostess’s brother and sister-in-law, Dr. and Mrs. J.A.C. Lattimore of Louisville and Mrs. Neil Hunter of Durham.”
Not many records could be found on Georgia’s later years. On March 3, 1961, Georgia died at the Red Cross Hospital in Louisville at the approximate age of 81. She was buried in Section A, Range 26, Lot 39 of Eastern Cemetery. The grainy photo of the Easter supper is from the “Pittsburgh Courier” April 30, 1949.