Archive for June, 2021

Dr. Edgar Thomas Dennis

Dr. Edgar Thomas Dennis (1889-1961) was born on Mary 20, 1889 in Trenton, TN to Albert and Emma (Moore) Dennis. Albert was a night watchman in the oil mills and Emma was a laundress. Edgar was a graduate of Fisk University and Meharry Medical College. He practiced medicine in Western Kentucky before moving to Louisville. We could not find a date, but sometime between 1925 and 1928, he married Freddie Charlotte Hankal (1881-1976), the daughter of Dr. Hezekiah and Mariah (Netherland) Hankal. Freddie was born in Johnson City, TN and was one of 10 children. It is unclear when she moved to Louisville, but the city directories show her working as an agent for the Mammoth Life & Accident Insurance Co. Her sister Estelle (Hankal) Moorman was also living in the city.

According to the 1930 Census, Edgar was a veteran of World War I. Edgar and Freddie lived at 3106 Grand Avenue in the Parkland Neighborhood. Edgar continued working as a physician with an office at 720 S. Preston Street. During his lifetime, Dr. Edgar Dennis was President of the Falls City Medical Society and a member of Kentucky State Medical Association and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. He was a staff member of the Red Cross Hospital and a 15 year trustee of the Plymouth Congregational Church. Edgar was admitted to Waverly Hills Sanatorium on January 1, 1961. He died of tuberculosis four days later at Waverly. He was originally buried in Louisville Cemetery, but he was reburied in Section 1AD, Lot 38 of Eastern Cemetery on July 25, 1961. Freddie died on April 5, 1976 and was buried in West Lawn Cemetery in Johnson City with her parents. The photo of Edgar is from “Courier-Journal” January 5, 1961.

William Lee “Bill” Kean

William Lee “Bill” Kean (1899-1958) was born on October 12, 1899 to William T. and Alice (Garrett) Kean in Louisville. Bill was the third of four children: Henry Arthur, Olive, and Daniel Gardner. The family lived on Delaware Street (now Garland Avenue) in Limerick Neighborhood. Bill attended Central High School where he was captain of the basketball, baseball, and football teams. At 5’7” and 140 lbs, Bill earned letters in four sports at Howard University and was quarterback for the Negro All-American team in 1922. Bill was a Private in the Student Army Training Corps during World War I. Upon returning to Louisville in 1923, he taught PE and health; coached football, basketball, baseball, tennis, and track; and served as athletic director at Central High School. Bill earned a master’s degree from Indiana University, and a doctorate from Allen University. In 1939, he married Helen Anthony (1908-2011), daughter of Robert L. and Carrie (Gaddie) Anthony. Together the couple had two children: William Anthony and Alice Carolyn, and they lived at 3306 Grand Avenue in Parkland Neighborhood. Bill continued working until his death on April 29, 1958. He was buried in Section B, Range 14, Lot 69 of Eastern Cemetery with a military headstone.

Bill is remembered as winning more games than any other coach in the history of Kentucky high school sports. His football team had a record of 225 wins, 45 losses, 12 ties. The basketball team won 856 games with 83 losses. His teams won four National Negro High School titles and five state championships in the Kentucky High School Athletic League. Bill was posthumously named to the Kentucky High School Athletic association Hall of Fame in 1988, the National High School Sports Hall of Fame in 1993, and the Afro-American Hall of Fame in 1995. Photo of Bill and his family is from “Courier-Journal” March 30, 1956. 1955 Central High School Basketball Team photo is from “Courier-Journal” August 7, 2005. The photo includes Bill Kean in the front with the plaque. The players from left to right are Charlie Hampton, Alvin Stevenson, Edgar Smallwood, John Lucius, and James Beck. 1952 Photo of Central High School Football Coaches is from Wade Hall Papers at UK. The photo includes men of the Central High School Football team. Bill Kean is kneeling in the front. From left to right are E.Q. Adams, A.L. Johnson, Victor K. Perry, Lyman T. Johnson, and Daniel White. Kean was the head coach and the other men were assistant coaches. Lyman T. Johnson was the business manager.

Henry Arthur Kean, Sr.

Henry Arthur Kean, Sr. (1894-1955) was born on April 22, 1894 to William T. and Alice (Garrett) Kean in Louisville. Henry was the first of four children: Olive, William Lee, and Daniel Gardner. The family lived on Delaware Street (now Garland Avenue) in Limerick Neighborhood. Henry earned letters in four sports at Fisk University, and he was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. Henry was a Second Lieutenant in the 350th Field Artillery Regiment of the African American 92nd Infantry Division of the US Army during World War I. He taught math and coached football for 10 years at Central High School. In 1931, Kean was athletic director of Kentucky State University where he coached football, baseball, and basketball. Between 1930 and 1935, he married Bessie Fogle (1908-2001), and together the couple had two children: Henry Jr. and Carroll. In 1935, he earned a master’s degree from the University of Indiana. In 1943, Henry was athletic director and football coach at Tennessee State University Tigers (TSU). Henry retired from coaching in 1954 after a heart attack. He died on December 12, 1955 from a heart attack. He was buried in Section B, Range 14, Lot 69 of Eastern Cemetery.

According to TSU, “To thousands Henry Arthur Kean was affectionately known as ‘Coach.’ To competitors on the football field he was ‘The Fox.’ Kean was recognized by all as a powerhouse icon in TSU athletic history, producing 17 All-Americans… He preferred to be known as a teacher of football rather than a coach. Sports writers rated Kean’s ability so high he was never regarded as the underdog. Kean’s Keansmen football team won the Black National Championships in 1946, 1947 and 1954. His 24-year football record stood proudly at 162 wins, 30 loss, 5 ties. His five-year basketball record from 1944-1949 stood at 102 wins, 18 losses.” In 1958, Henry was added to the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Football Hall of Fame. Photos of Henry are from TSU.

William T. Kean

William T. Kean (1868-1949) was born on October 3, 1868 to Daniel and Sylvania (Buckner) Kean in Louisville. Not much is known about Daniel. However, Sylvania lived with or near the family for the duration of her life working as a laundress. She was mother of 3 sons: William, Henry Kean, Arthur Kean, and James Buckner. The family lived on Delaware Street (now Garland Avenue) in Limerick Neighborhood. On January 21, 1893 William married Alice Garrett (1875-1951). Not much could be found about her parents. Together, the couple had 4 children: Henry Arthur, Olive, William Lee, and Daniel Gardner. William worked as an expressman before he was sexton of the First Presbyterian Church where he was employed 36 years. By 1930, the family had moved to 2235 W. Walnut Street in the Russell Neighborhood.

On April 17, 1944, Sylvania died at the age of 99 and was buried in Section B, Range 14, Lot 69 of Eastern Cemetery. She shares a headstone with her mother Sarah and son Arthur. On November 16, 1949, William died from heart disease at the age of 81. He was buried in the same lot as his mother. William’s obituary in the “Louisville Leader” called him “one of Louisville’s well-known pioneer citizens.” Alice died on December 6, 1951 from bronchitis, and she was buried with her husband. They share a headstone with their daughter Olive (Kean) Boone (1896-1978) and Daniel Gardner Kean (1912-1988). Olive was a teacher at Dunbar Elementary School, director of music at Calvary Baptist Church, and a member of the Semanites Club. Daniel was the Director of Minority Relations for Gulf Oil Corp. He joined the company in 1954 as the first African American marketing representative.

James Edward Givens

Professor James Edward Givens (1861-1910) was born in VA to Jefferson and Mary Ann (Dickerson) Givens. His father fought in the Civil War and never returned home. Mary Ann raised James and his brother William Clifton in Staunton, VA. James was a graduate of Howard University and Harvard College and moved to Louisville in 1892 to leach Greek and Latin at Simmons College. He founded “New South,” a weekly newspaper published in Louisville beginning in 1894. On June 26, 1895, he married Fannie Rosalind Hicks who we’ve featured before. Professor Givens was the head of the State Normal School in Frankfort from 1898 until 1900. During his administration, 265 acres of farm were purchased for the school, the printing department was established, and the enrollment was increased to 152 students.

In 1902, his brother William died leaving a widow and five children. Fannie Rosalind, who was named for her aunt, came to live with Professor Givens and Fannie in Louisville. They adopted her two years later. By 1905, Professor Givens and his family were living in Louisville where he was teaching at Central High School. On March 14, 1910, he died of typhoid fever at his home located at 407 Jacob Street in the Smoketown Neighborhood. He was 49 years old. According to his obituary, Professor Givens was a “leader among the colored people of Kentucky.” He was buried in Cave Hill Corner of Eastern Cemetery where he shares a headstone with his wife with an inscription, “He believed in the divinity of Christ and said, ‘I see my soul divinely clad, approaching my Saviour.’” The photo of Professor Givens is from Find a Grave user Catahoula Hound.

On October 7, 1910, Professor Givens’ sister-in-law Jessie died in VA. Her children James Edward, Margaret, Mary Ann, and Jessie Clifton moved to Louisville to live with Fannie (Hicks) Givens and their biological sister Fannie. All of the children, except Mary, remained in Louisville for the remainder of their lives. In fact, James, Margaret, and Fannie are also buried in Eastern Cemetery.

Felton Snow

Felton Snow (1905-1974) was born in Oxford, AL to Jonah and Claudia (Johnson) Snow. Jonah worked as a janitor. Felton was one of eight children. By 1919, Jonah and Claudia were divorced, and Claudia and some of her children moved to Louisville. Some of the children remained in AL with Jonah and his wife Mattie. By 1921, Felton had married Elnora Conaway and together they had one son William. According to the 1930 Census, Felton was a delivery man and Elnora was a cook. They were renting a home at 1473 Levering Street in Old Louisville.

In 1929, Felton began his professional baseball career playing for the Louisville Black Caps and White Sox of the Negro Southern League. His strong throwing arm was considered one of his assets. By 1933, Felton joined the Elite Giants and played as they moved from Nashville to Columbus to Baltimore. From 1940-47, Felton was player-manager for the Baltimore Elite Giants. From 1947-49, he managed the Nashville Cubs, and in 1950, the New Orleans Crescent Stars.

Felton came back to Louisville when he retired from baseball where he worked at the armory. After an injury, he began working at Roy’s Beauty Salons. At some point, Felton and Elnora divorced, and in 1967, he married Annie Mae Adams. On February 15, 1969, the “Courier-Journal” interviewed him. The article noted that Felton managed Jackie Robinson, Jim Gilliam, and Roy Campanella. He says, “I guess I was born 30 to 35 years too early. … I don’t suppose I would have been any happier with that kind of money. But you know I would like to have tried it.” Felton died from a heart attack on March 16, 1974. He was buried in Section 16, Row 12, Grave 19 of Eastern Cemetery. His grave is unmarked. Annie died in 2015 and was buried in Cave Hill Cemetery. According to his obituary, Felton was a member of the Couples Club, Varmit Club, Usher Board, and was a steward at the Stoner Memorial AME Zion Church. Photo of Felton from Wikipedia. 2008 card and 2020 card (painting) from Trading Card Database.

W.E. and C.Z. Johnson and Bill Johnson

William Edward Johnson (1867-1936) was born to William and Bettie Johnson in Louisville. William was a teamster and Bettie was a laundress. William was the oldest of 4 children. On November 22, 1894, he married Charles Zephyr Thompson (1874-1962), the daughter of Charles and Helen (Morris) Thompson of Harrisburg, KY. Not much could be found about her parents. By 1900, the couple were living at 2341 Magazine Street in the Russell Neighborhood with William’s mom Bettie and sister Bessie who was working as a teacher. William was working as a letter carrier. On November 16, 1906, William and Charles had one son, William Edward “Bill” Johnson, Jr. (1906-1987). By 1930, Bill was a teacher and William was still working as a letter carrier. On September 28, 1936 William died at the age of 69. He was buried in Cave Hill Corner, Lot 2AD of Eastern Cemetery.

Between 1930 and 1932, Bill married Mamie Josephine Neal (1903-1959), daughter of Bristow and Johnsie (Porter) Neal. Together, the couple had four children: Mamie Dolores, William B., Gwendolyn Veree, and William, born stillborn. The family lived at 2343 Magazine Street next door to Bill’s mother Charles Z. in the Russell Neighborhood. Bill was the PE teacher at Madison Junior High School as well as the track and basketball coach. On July 21, 1959, Mamie died of heart disease at the age of 56. She was buried in Eastern Cemetery in William’s lot. Bill later married Helen (Anthony) Kean. On September 3, 1962, Charles Zephyr Johnson died at the age of 87. She was buried next to her husband in Eastern Cemetery. They share a headstone. On March 11, 1987, Bill died at the age of 80. He was buried next to his parents. A marker has not been found. At the time of his retirement, Bill had taught at Madison Junior High School for 45 years. He was also well known throughout the Russell Neighborhood. In a 1999 “Courier-Journal” article Evelyn Cook remembered the old neighborhood as a “time when Bill Johnson, the gym teacher at Madison Junior High, used to walk not only the schools, but the alleys outside, keeping order.”

Lawrence Washburn Minor

This biography was written by Regina Bergeron. Lawrence Washburn Minor was born (~1829) enslaved in Louisiana. His father, Philip Minor, was the Linwood plantation owner and fathered at least 3 children with Lawrence’s mother, Lucy. At the prompting of lady family members, he provided private tutors for the children. In 1836, he left provisions in his will to free Lucy and her 5 children. They were each given a gift of $2,000. Lawrence was sent to Ohio where attended Oberlin preparatory school with his siblings. He continued his studies in the college program.

He moved to New Orleans and taught there until there was an incident in his store during a rebellion. In 1852, he relocated to Ohio where he married Maria F. Morris (daughter of Shelton Morris). They had four children (Ella Evaline, John Lawrence, Shelton Morris, and Lucretia). Even though he was educated, he worked for many years as a steamboat porter in Louisville, KY. He was actively involved in the Anti-Slavery movement and the Underground Railroad with his family. Also, he was actively involved in the Freedman’s Bureau Bank with his brother-in-law, Horace Morris. In 1871, he was appointed as professor of the Latin language and English literature at Alcorn University. He became the first Principal of Prairie View A&M University. He died from a congestive chill on November 5, 1880 in Texas. His remains were transported to Eastern Cemetery.

His brother, Lt. Patrick Minor, was the first black officer to command an all-black troop in the Civil War. His sister, Odile Minor Burnham, organized the First Colored School in Leavenworth, KS. His youngest sister, Josephine Minor married Justin Perry Holland, Sr. (notable classical guitarist and composer). For over 30 years, her sons worked at the U.S. Customs House in New Orleans.

The photo of Minor is from Special Collections/Archives Department, John B. Coleman Library, John B. Coleman Library. He is buried in Section 2AD, Row 17 of Eastern Cemetery. His grave is unmarked.

Russell Perry Lee

Alderman Russell Perry Lee (1907-1965) was born in Elizabethtown to Columbus and Rosa (Bolan) Lee. He was one of four children. By the 1920 Census, the family had moved to Louisville. Rosa was enumerated as a single mother working as a laundress. The family lived on S. Hancock Street in Shelby Park. During the 1930s, Lee was active in Civil Rights, writing pieces for the “Louisville Leader.” On April 16, 1942, he enlisted in the US Army for World War II. He was a Technician fifth grade until he was discharged on September 21, 1945. Lee worked as supervisor for the National Youth Administration Office, a New Deal agency providing work and education for young adults. He also worked as a juvenile probation officer.

In 1961, Lee ran for election to become 8th Ward alderman. His campaign came out of the Civil Rights movement and the Non-Partisan Registration Committee (NPRC), which sought the removal of Democratic Mayor Bruce Hoblitzell and the Democratic-controlled alderman for rejecting desegregation ordinances. The NPRC’s slogan “50,000 voting Negroes can totally desegregate Louisville” presented their goal to register more African Americans to vote but to also support good candidates. In less than a year, the city’s registered African Americans rose from 40% to 70%. The 1961 election made William Cowger the city’s first Republican Mayor in 28 years, elected numerous republican judges, and elected the first African American aldermen, Lee and Louise Reynolds (11th Ward).

Lee won reelection in 1963. During his tenure, he was able to vote for a 1963 ordinance desegregating public accommodations and a 1965 ordinance forbidding employment discrimination. However, Lee died on January 18, 1965 from cancer. He was buried in Section 11, Row 16, Grave 11 of Eastern Cemetery with a military headstone. In 1968, a park at 35th & Southern Avenue was named in his honor. Lee’s brother George is also buried in Eastern Cemetery with a military headstone (Section 11, Row 17, Grave 6). Lee’s photo is from “Courier-Journal” November 8, 1961.

Robert C. Fox

Eighty-five years before Claudette Colvin and Rosa Parks took their seats on Montgomery buses, Robert C. Fox, Samuel O. Fox, and Horace Pearce challenged segregation on the streetcars of Louisville. The eldest child of Albert and Margaret (Carr) Fox, Robert was born near Maysville, KY circa 1846. Having fled a farm in Fleming Co., on August 2, 1864, Robert enlisted at Ripley, Ohio in Company K of the 27th USCT Infantry regiment. The 27th distinguished itself in campaigns in Virginia and North Carolina, including at the Battle of the Crater during the siege of Petersburg, and was present when Joe Johnston surrendered his Army.

By 1870 Robert and Samuel were living on Walnut Street in Louisville at the address of the undertaking establishment that Robert co-owned with James H. Taylor. On a dismal Sunday afternoon in late October, Robert, Samuel, and Horace Pearce boarded a du Pont controlled Central Passenger Railroad mule car near Quinn Chapel and took seats inside (black males were relegated to the outside platform). They were arrested and found guilty in Police Court of Disturbing the Peace. The following May, the US District Attorney in Louisville argued their case in the US District Court. In accordance with the Reconstruction Amendments, Judge Bland Ballard found in favor of the plaintiff and fined the company the exact amount that Misters Fox, Fox, and Pearce had been fined by the local court.

A few months before his victory in Federal Court, Robert married a young widow, Victoria Flournoy (nee Beaty) who was born free near Madison, IN and had inherited a small cottage in Louisville from her late husband. In 1874, Robert petitioned Chancery Court (presided over by future “great dissenter” John Marshall Harlan’s brother James) for Victoria’s recognition as feme sole. He had already opened a bank account for her with the Freedman’s Bureau. When Robert died a few months following his father in 1881, it was Victoria who took over Robert’s business and ran it successfully for many years. Funeral services for Robert were held by his Lodge (led by Horace Morris) at the Masonic Hall and he was buried on the 22nd of June in the Eastern Cemetery. Commencement exercises for the “Colored Schools” were rescheduled so as not to conflict with these services because Robert was on the schools’ Board of Visitors.

Robert’s story was researched and written by Stephen W. Brown and an audio version of Horace Pearce’s story (and a fuller account of the streetcar segregation case) may be found here.

Thomas Jackman Long, Sr.

Thomas Jackman Long, Sr. (1900-1969) was born in Louisville to Thomas and Carrie (Jackman) Long. Thomas was a janitor and owned his home at 718 S. 16th Street in the California Neighborhood. He and Carrie had three children: Chester, Rosa, and Thomas. By 1925, Thomas married Helen Buckner, daughter of George and Anna Buckner. Together, the couple had three children: Telanna, Charlotte, and Thomas Jr. Thomas was a graduate of Fisk University and earned a masters degree from Indiana University. He completed further graduate work at the University of Rochester in New York. His first teaching position was at Douglas High School in Henderson, KY, and began working in Louisville in 1934 when he became principal of Mary B. Talbert School. He was then principal at Booker T. Washington and Lincoln Schools, and then at Jackson Junior High School from 1943-1954. For three years, he was vice president of the Kentucky Negro Education Association.

In 1955, Thomas was named principal of the new Lucie N. DuValle Junior High School and Joseph S. Cotter Elementary School, which were built together at 34th and Bohne. He was still principal at the school when he died suddenly on April 27, 1969 at the age of 68 in his Jeffersonville, IN home. According to his obituary, he was a lifelong member of the Kentucky Congress of Parents and Teachers as well as the Plymouth Congregational Church. He was buried in Section 3AD, Row 3, Grave 8 of Eastern Cemetery. Helen died on September 1, 1987 at the age of 82. Her obituary says she was a retired employee of the old state Department of Economic Security. She was buried with her husband in Section 3AD, Row 3, Grave 7 of Eastern Cemetery. Their graves are unmarked. The photo is from “Two Centuries of Black Louisville.” The baby in the front is Thomas; the woman to the left is his mother Carrie; the little girl to the left is his sister Rosa; and the boy in the back is his brother Chester. The man in the back is presumed to be Thomas’s father Thomas, but it’s not certain. The woman in the black dress in the front is unidentified.

Dr. Anna Eliza (Woodfield) Page

Dr. Anna Eliza (Woodfield) Page (1868-1936) was born in Louisville on September 6, 1868, to Joseph and Theresa (Lewis) Woodfield. She was the youngest of three children. Her father was a taxi driver and her mother was a homemaker. At the time of 1880 Census, Anna was 22 years old and living on Square Street, between 17th and 18th streets, with her family. On July 25, 1883, she married Dabney Page, a painter. Not much is known about the couple’s married years together, and our research indicates they did not have any children. At the time of the 1900 Census, Anna was the head of the house, attending medical school. She was living with her mom; her sister Jennie Coates, who was a music teacher; and a boarder Lizzie Curtis. They were living at 1307 Magazine Street in the Russell Neighborhood. Anna graduated from the Louisville National Medical College in 1902. Dr. Henry Fitzbutler chartered the medical school in 1888 to provide opportunities to African Americans seeking to become doctors as colleges at the time were segregated.

From 1906 thru 1912, Dr. Anna Page was noted in several “Courier-Journal” articles as serving the King’s Daughters and Sons, a charitable organization, by going to the houses of the “needy sick.” In 1906 alone, she made 743 home visits. She also provided support to the organization’s annual Tag Day where boxes of supplies were distributed to those in need. On July 29, 1914, Dabney died of tuberculosis at 53. He is buried in Section Colored B, Lot 39 of Eastern Cemetery. His grave is unmarked. By 1916, Dr. Page and her sister Jennie were living at 717 S. 15th Street in California Neighborhood. This was their home and medical office. According to “Two Centuries of Black Louisville,” “In later years, Dr. Annie E. Page was the only black female physician practicing in Louisville, a distinction she held until her death in 1936.” On July 15, 1936, Dr. Anna Page died of heart disease at the age of 67. She was buried in Section 3AD, Lot 37 of Eastern Cemetery. Her grave is unmarked. Drawing of Louisville National Medical College is from Kentucky Historic Institutions.

Fannie Rosalind (Givens) Robinson

Fannie Rosalind (Givens) Robinson (1900-1972) was born in Staunton, VA to William Clifton and Jessie (Harris) Givens. In 1902, William died leaving a widow and five children. Fannie, who was named for her aunt, Fannie Rosalind (Hicks) Givens, came to live with her uncle James Edward Givens and Fannie in Louisville. They adopted her two years later. In 1910, Jessie died, so her children James Edward, Margaret, Mary Ann, and Jessie Clifton moved to Louisville to live with Fannie (Hicks) Givens and their sister. Sometime before 1928, Fannie married Horatio W. O’Bannon and together the couple had a daughter, Fannie Rosalind. Horatio and Fannie were both graduates of Central High School and teachers in Louisville. Fannie worked for the East End Day Nursery. By 1935, they had divorced.

Fannie then married Dr. William H. Robinson (1900-1962) who was born in Louisville to Lee and Amanda (O’Bannon) Robinson. He was one of three children. William was a graduated of Central High School, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Boston. He was head of the physics and math department at Houston-Tillotson College and Bricks Junior College as well as assistant director of the mechanical arts department of Prairie View A&M University. By 1938, William, Fannie, and Fannie O’Bannon were living in Durham, NC where William was the head of the science department at North Carolina Central University. The family lived at 210 Formosa Avenue in Durham until William’s death on March 27, 1962. He was buried in Section B, Range 12, Lot 25, Grave 3 of Eastern Cemetery. Fannie Robinson moved to Hampton, VA to be near her daughter Fannie (O’Bannon) King. She died there on March 18, 1972 at the age of 71. She was buried with her husband in Section B, Range 12, Lot 25, Grave 4 of Eastern Cemetery. They share a headstone. Fannie’s photo is from her 1923 passport application. William’s portrait and the photo of his laboratory are from North Carolina Central University Faculty and Staff Photograph Records, 1910-2005.

Dr. Jacob Anthony Gay

Dr. Jacob Anthony Gay (1904-1975) was born in Woodville, MS to William and Lucille (Jackson) Gay. We could not find information on his parents. According to the 1910 Census, Jacob was living with his aunt Harriet Murray, uncle Lee Murray, and grandmother Leah Jackson in Natchez, MS. In 1928, Jacob graduated from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, TN where he was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. On November 9, 1929, he married Laura Winifred Jetton in Jeffersonville, IN. Dr. Gay also completed postgraduate work in oral surgery at Ohio State University and served two years as Chief of Oral Surgery for the US Army Dental Corps. He and Winifred then moved to Frankfort, KY where he opened a dental practice. By 1946, the couple was living in Louisville at 1912 W. Chestnut Street and they later moved to 2416 W. Chestnut Street in the Russell Neighborhood.

Dr. Gay was very involved in Louisville not only in the medical field but civically. He was a member of the Louisville Dental Society, Program Director of the John Andrew Dental Congress in Tuskegee, AL, consultant to Central State Hospital, and president of the Red Cross Hospital where he was chief of oral surgery. He had served as president and treasurer of the Louisville chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, financial secretary of the Chestnut Street YMCA, and a trustee of Plymouth Congregational Church. He was also a member of the Louisville Urban League and the Community Chest. Dr. Gay’s dental office was located at 2619 W. Broadway. On May 21, 1975, Dr. Gay died at the age of 71. He was buried in Section 21, Range 1, Lot 2 of Eastern Cemetery. He shares a headstone with Winifred; however, when she died in 1995, she was cremated. The photo of Dr. Gay is from “Sphinx” Summer August 1956, Volume 42, Number 3.

Elizabeth (Rietmann) Egg

Elizabeth (Rietmann) Egg (1825-1896) was born to Johann Jakob and Anna Margaretha (Huber) Rietmann on April 12, 1825 in Lustdorf, Switzerland. She was one of approximately 11 children. On February 9, 1851 she married Rudolph Egg, son of Rudolf and Katharina (Peyer) Egg, in Lustdorf. Two of their seven children were born in Switzerland: Katherina and Elizabeth. The couple and their daughter Katherina immigrated to the United States in 1854. They arrived in New York from Le Havre, France aboard the “Rotunda.” Their daughter Elizabeth remained in Switzerland until 1859. By 1856, the family was living in Louisville. Rudolph worked as a carpenter while Elizabeth kept house. Their children Rudolph, Frank, Rachael, Emilia, and Rosa were all born in Louisville. However, Katherina, Rudolph, and Emilia did not survive to adulthood.

The family lived on Walnut Street near Clay Street in the Phoenix Hill Neighborhood for many years. On September 19, 1896, Elizabeth died from asthma at the age of 71. She was buried in Section B, Range 2, Lot 16 of Eastern Cemetery. On July 29, 1903, Rudolph died from consumption at the age of 78. He was buried next to Elizabeth. They share a large granite marker. Their lot also includes their daughters Katharina, Emilia, and Rachael (Egg) Hodgkins as well as their grandson Edwin Hodgkins. The photos of Elizabeth and Rudolph Egg are from Find a Grave user Marguerite Miller.